View Hidden Files/Folders

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
Irabbit
Site Admin

View Hidden Files/Folders

Postby Irabbit » March 17th, 2012, 7:42 pm

I found this info on how to view hidden files/folders in Linux:
Linux Hide Show Files Folders.jpg
Linux Hide Show Files Folders.jpg (152.63 KiB) Viewed 596 times

When I booted to my USB Ubuntu I was not able to find an option to "View". I was able to use the "Ctrl H" option to view the hidden files. By doing this I was able to view & delete the files that were put on my computer by Linux with the "." hidden file indicator.

However, when I told Ubuntu to "Empty the trash" it did nothing. The "trash can" icon was still visually indicating that there was something in the trash. I shut down and removed my USB drive for Ubuntu and the files/folders on my Win7 with the "." as the first character were gone so that is now resolved. I am just wondering about the "Trash" that was left and not emptied.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: View Hidden Files/Folders

Postby WCCobra » March 17th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Be careful deleting "hidden" files/folders inside your home directory. Programs store your personal configurations in there. If you delete the wrong thing, you can end up breaking some applications or your account.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: View Hidden Files/Folders

Postby Irabbit » March 17th, 2012, 8:20 pm

These were files that were moved to my Win 7 "J" data partition and were just tests for using the USB Ubuntu for recovering/moving files/folders. What was placed was shown as ".Trash...(something that I don't now remember)" and should not be on my Win 7 drive. I was not able to get rid of them through Windows and had to boot to Linux to remove them. But since they had the "." as the first character they were hidden to Linux.

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”