pc ran into a problem and needs to restart windows 10

Post your questions here and our members will take a shot at helping you find the answers.
lmhjcr

pc ran into a problem and needs to restart windows 10

Post by lmhjcr » October 22nd, 2018, 4:22 pm

I was doing some work on my pc - doing some online research and all of a sudden I got a screen stating that my pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We are just collecting some error information and then we will restart for you. There was no error code - but there was something about more information at I think windows.com/stopcode (but not sure of that since by that time the pc was restarting on me)

My computer did restart and is running fine now, but how do I figure out what caused that problem and if there is something that I need to fix before it happens again.

I did start doing some research and I also ran a command prompt as the administrator and ran sfc /scannow command. No problems were found. I have a Dell running Windows 10 home and the Dell Support Assist ran all the tools and did not find any problems and all drivers are up to date according to that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

lmhjcr

Re: pc ran into a problem and needs to restart windows 10

Post by lmhjcr » October 23rd, 2018, 12:34 pm

update - I did find a .dmp file so I installed something called NirSoft Blue Screen Viewer so that I could view that file and it showed that the issue was caused by the driver nvlddmkm.sys which after some research has to do with the Nvidia graphics card. So I am going to see what else I can find out and how that issue can be resolved.

wd
Site Admin

Re: pc ran into a problem and needs to restart windows 10

Post by wd » October 23rd, 2018, 12:59 pm

go to support.dell.com plug in your service tag and let it detect drivers for you probably needs BIOS update to start there
you can also boot to the dell diags in your BIOS and make sure your hardware is not having issues

Return to “Computer Help and Support”